Preaching in the Midst of Crisis

These are times when all of us seem overwhelmed by COVID-19 that so far has no vaccine to prevent it or a scientific treatment. I feel out of control, boxed in, trying to make phone calls to others and to use technology to try to stay in touch with close friends.

At the same time, I'm paying way too much attention to my body, just waiting for the first sign that the virus has jumped over the fence and invaded my life or the life of someone whom I love dearly.

Not a very pleasant feeling, is it? I wish that I had the answer to this global nightmare. All I have is a response, which is much different from the answer.

Here is what I would like to do and what I would like you to do with me. I want to take the Revised Common Lectionary, select a passage of scripture that is a week ahead, and then offer some thoughts and stories that I hope will help.

One of my former students reminded me that in the preaching books that I have written, there is no section on "preaching in a pandemic". I do write some about "preaching in a crisis". My former student, however, is precisely right. There is nothing about pandemics and preaching.

I never imagined a time like this. So, here's my plan of response. In case the Revised Common Lectionary is unfamiliar to you, let me briefly explain a few things about it. It's developed by a committee. Some of us have been on committees. Try not to think about some committee meetings that worked late into the night, where everybody left in frustration and nothing was decided. If it was a church committee, it reminded you that as far as I know, the Greek word for "committee" never appears in the New Testament. With all the committees that most churches have, it makes you wonder how first century faith ever got started.

The Lectionary Committee is made up of scholars who select biblical texts in a three-year cycle. Each Sunday, there is a reading from the Hebrew Bible, the Psalms, one of the four Gospels, and another reading from the New Testament, often an epistle. As far as the rotation of the Gospels, Year A features Matthew, Year B, Mark, and Year C, the Gospel of Luke. You may wonder, "Where's the Gospel of John?" John does not have a year but appears once in a while as a Gospel reading.

That's enough about the Lectionary. What I want to do is to take one text a week, with the understanding that I may have to miss a few weeks, and offer some thoughts on the way to the preaching event. Some ministers try to find a theme in several of the Lectionary texts for a Sunday, but the way that I have chosen is to deal with one. Most preachers have Lectionary commentaries. They provide excellent background material and good thoughts for sermons. However, the one thing that none of these commentaries knows is the context in which you and I preach. Right now, the overwhelming contextual issue is PANDEMIC and all of the fears, anxieties and uncertainties that go with it. People look to scientists for a cure; people look to the medical profession for treatment; people look to politicians for programs to assist people that have lost jobs. But people look to their preachers for how to live in a time of suffering, and how God may be present to us in such a time as this. With most people listening virtually these days, we want to know if in this context, there is a text of scripture that can speak a word of hope when we feel so hopeless and helpless.

To people who are not professional ministers, I want you to feel a big part of this enterprise. Many of you have great insights into the Bible and into people's lives. Pick a biblical text and tell us what it means to you. If possible, give us a story that lights up what you're saying.

For preachers who don't use the Revised Common Lectionary, tell us the biblical text/s that you're using and a few sentences describing the point of your message. Give us a story or illustration. All of us clergy will raise our right hands and promise to give you full credit.

I have been a pastor of several churches and have taught preaching at four different institutions. I'm retired now, do a few interims and preach a lot of sermons on the Sundays after Christmas and Easter when the regular minister and half the congregation are gone. Preaching is the place where most of our laypeople and the preacher come together. I still want to grow in my own proclamation. So, let's collaborate. Share your stuff and out of this sermonic stew, maybe some things will emerge that will help us through this time of crisis.

Live simply,
Love generously,
Care deeply,
Speak kindly,
Listen reverently and respectfully,
Pray daily,
And then... leave the rest to God.

Comments

  1. What a great idea! Looking forward to some meaningful insights. Proud to say you are my former pastor at FBC Augusta, GA and a good friend,.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

About this blog

The New Normal: Is It Really Normal?

Finding God in the Pandemic #5